So, what is Web Development?
Web development entails the process of developing websites or web-based applications. Web development is often done through CMS tools such as WordPress, or programming languages such as HTML, React, Java or Objective-C.
Web development serves companies and organizations by giving them a platform to connect with users, build brand reputation, sell their products, or even provide their products through their web-based applications.
What is the Web Development Process?
At Goji Labs, our typical web development process looks like this:
Discovery: 1 – 2 weeks
- Conducting an internal stakeholder workshop to understand your product vision and business goals
- Researching your industry, competitive landscape, and end-users to validate assumptions
- Creating a data-driven, robust product and go-to-market strategy
- Defining KPIs to track progress
Design: 1 – 8 weeks
- Designing your website or web-based application according to user-centered design principles
- Conducting brand discovery calls, user research, usability testing
- Delivering high-fidelity prototypes and designs
Development: 1 – 16 weeks
- Creating the website or web-based app according to our finalized specs
- Building the front- and back-end in module-based, parallel development
- Weekly check-ins to ensure transparency, keep you up-to-date, and receive your feedback
QA testing: 1 – 2 weeks
- Systems testing to ensure your website or web-based application is running smoothly before launch
Web Development vs. Web Design
|The process of building the website or the web-based application itself. Web development is building out and coding the functionality of the website or web application in its back- and front-ends, hosting the website, and conducting all of the technical processes that make the website run.|
|Involves the UX and UI of the website or web application; that is, the layouts, information architecture, workflows, color schemes, typography, and visual elements that guide and enhance the user experience.|
- We create a pixel-perfect blueprint of the application experience
- We enable you to view data, gather insights and carry out helpdesk tasks
Application & Server Codebases
- We establish your intellectual property, hosted on Github, BitBucket or GitLab
Play Store Submission
- We guide app submission & acceptance, and build your Google Play store page,
What is the average cost of Web Development?
Costs of web development vary based on project scope and complexity, so we always conduct an initial deep dive call to understand the scope, budget, and timeline of your project. However, Goji’s typical projects range from $25,000 – $500,000.
Web Development Best Practices
Some web development best practices we follow at Goji Labs:
- Keeping development transparent; feedback is a two-way street.
- Using frameworks and vetted open-source to avoid reinventing the wheel, and to keep costs and timeline down to a minimum.
- Sticking with a consistent, user-centered design that follows industry standards. This way, we create a functionally and visually tailored experience, made precisely for your users.
- Building and designing for accessibility, mobility, and responsitivity—in a time in which websites are accessed on mobile devices more often than not.
- Writing efficient, sustainable, and scalable code in excellent syntax. We want our creations to serve—not hinder—you and your in-house team in future development and adjustments.